As featured on Capital TV, and BFM 89.9 The Business Radio Station, and weekly on New Straits Times’ NieXTer!
Hi, welcome to my personal blog! I am the author for 3 financial literacy education books, Founder and Financial Coach for Treasure Mind Sdn Bhd. My personal vision is for a society in which all children and young people have the skills, knowledge and confidence to manage their money well, now and in the future. To fulfill this vision, I’m dedicated to supporting parents in giving their children and young people the skills, knowledge and confidence to manage money.
Why learn Financial Literacy?
Consider the following facts about money:
- College students are graduating with soaring credit card debt (not including study loans!) along with their diplomas. 4 out of 10 college students face ‘unmanageable’ debt as they finish college and enter the job market.
- Approximately 75% of people live from month to month financially.
- Money is the number one cause of divorce in the world.
- Money is among the top reasons people commit suicide.
- Less than 10% of high school graduates receive any financial education in school.
- Less than a third of this generation are saving enough for retirement.
- Being good in academics doesn’t guarantee financial success in life.
By applying the knowledge and tools presented in the workshop and book, you will learn to manage money wisely and develop good financial habits; and these sound financial habits will in turn become your building blocks for a secure future. Given the current rate of savings and debt in the world, the book and workshop offers many valuable lessons that desperately need to be learned.
To the parent
The need for young people to be able to control of their money and to plan for the future by the time they leave college has never been stronger. Children and young people encounter money earlier and earlier in life, and as a result have to learn to make earning, saving and spending decisions earlier. Crucial decisions have to be taken about consumer credit, cars loans, getting a job or living independently. We owe it to the next generation to invest in their future.
As a parent, you are in the ideal position to mentor and nurture your children, to help them grow in financial responsibility. Because every young person is unique, every parent needs to find her own solution to meeting the requirements of her child. It is my sincere belief that financially literate parents provide the most effective route to young people becoming financially capable, as parents know their children best and understand how to integrate personal finance lessons into their lives.
The knowledge and tools presented in the workshop will lay a very solid groundwork for your child’s financial independence before they start work.
To your prosperity and happiness,